Hey, remember that time I decided to start a blog? That was tonight, while watching The Mindy Project.*
Technically, I already have a blog, but it's mostly an update on my life to friends who I don't see on a daily basis. It's unfocused and personal and I like it that way.
But lately, I've been looking for a new challenge. And I've done some soul searching (so cliche, no?) and realized a few things about myself.
So, the five reasons I'm starting this blog:
1. I need a new challenge (I already said that). I spend a lot of time at work. A lot. And instead of spending the rest of my time catching up on my DVR, I'd like to DO something.
2. I'm not the scared-y pants I once was. Maybe someday I'll expand on this, but the gist of it is that I used to be afraid of everything. Anxiety ruled my life, and I was constantly worried about what other people thought of me. But I'm not like that anymore.
3. Turns out, I like new things. Tastes change, and you can change your own tastes.
4. Some things still scare me. While I used to run from things that were hard or scary, the past few years I've been embracing them. And I've been FINE. Instead of running from things that scare me, I want to run to them.
5. I'm inspired. I have these amazing people in my life that do amazing things, and thanks to the fancy world wide web I'm exposed to a lot of things that inspire me. I have friends who run marathons, and bake wedding cakes, and make their own clothes and teach art. Participating in those kinds of things would be a real challenge for me, one I'd like to take on.
Maybe this is stupid, and maybe I'll regret it, and maybe I'll fail. But at least I'll have tried, right?
*Have you read Mindy Kaling's book Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? It's hilarious and real and partly responsible for inspiring me to start this blog. It's a funny memoir, but it also contains a really great message about self-awareness, and not taking yourself too seriously. READ IT!