Saturday, January 11, 2014

Eating Clean (first two weeks)

Two weeks ago, shortly after Chris and I moved in together, I started cooking all our meals. We fell into a great routine where we make dinner every night and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. Once a week, we go out.

A decision we (well, I) made was to start eating clean the about 90% of the time. I'll let you google Clean Eating because I'm no expert on explaining it. For me, it translates to eating non-processed foods, watching portion sizes, and eating in a more balanced way (pasta is not a meal, it should be a side dish).

The first two weeks have been great. I've become more adventurous and confident in the kitchen (before this, I rarely cooked) and I love eating dinner with Chris every night. It's also been a challenge to meal plan each week and get the grocery shopping done in one day.

Below I've posted our meal plan (dinner and lunch) for the first two weeks. Lunch the next day is always leftovers from dinner before. Sadly I've taken very few photos of what we've been eating, I'll try to get better at that.

Week 1
Monday: Bruschetta Chicken with whole wheat pasta and a green salad
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
Wednesday: Roasted pork tenderloin with roasted carrots (my new favorite thing)
Thursday: I went out with the girls!
Friday: Turkey Meatballs with sauce in pita bread
Saturday: Roasted tilapia with broccoli and brown rice. I roasted the tilapia with lemon and garlic in foil, yum!
Sunday: Leftovers (Chris had meatballs, I had mexican chicken)

Week 2
Monday: Turkey Taco Casserole
Tuesday: Lemon Chicken Scallopine with whole wheat pasta and roasted green beans
Wednesday: Chicken and Green Bean Stir Fry with Quinoa (This didn't turn out great, all I had was frozen green beans)
Thursday: Turkey and Feta Stuffed Peppers
Friday: Almond Crusted Tilapia with dijon mustard roasted broccoli
Saturday: We're doing dinner out tonight!
Sunday: Chicken Pita Sandwiches

I've already planned Week 3 (I'll post after when I've actually eaten the recipes) and found some great blogs where I've been grabbing recipes from. Not all are clean, but if not they are easily adapted.

heandsheeatclean.com
toscareno.blogspot.com (she's written several books on clean eating)
thenakedkitchen.com
nomnompaleo.com (paleo, not clean, but a lot of the recipes are easily adapted)
deliciouslyella.com
howsweeteats.com

Next up: getting our grocery bill down! I see Costco trips in my future.


*Full disclosure: I'd been thinking about eating clean for a while but this whole thing was kickstarted by my P90X3 challenge that started on December 30. Many of the recipes came from my amazing coach Melanie's site.

0 comments:

Post a Comment